Monday 9 November 2015

Commando...?

Commando? No?!
YES! 

 
I can imagine the question marks in your eyes when you read this heading. Many people including myself made the mistake of wearing underwear when we started cycling!

The thought of not wearing underwear my cycling tights frightened me at first, but after a bit of rubbing where I didn't want to be rubbed someone told me to NOT wear underwear underneath my cycling tights! You add more seams for more potential rubbing when you are wearing underwear. The biggest contact point between you and your bike is your saddle, so the less seams around that area will limit the risk of rubbing and unwanted saddle sores!

I stepped out of my comfort zone and left the panties/knickers behind after Elisca advised me to do so! It felt strange at first, but much better in the longer run! Just think of your tights as the best NO VPL underwear you will every own!

See this article on 
Total Womens Cycling confirming what I just said!

The risks of riding Commando 

The risks: 
  1. You could cycle into a fence and tear your tights and expose your future to those around you
  2. Your tights could get stuck behind your saddle and you can tear a seam
  3. You could crash, end up in A & E without knickers when you have to be fully examined by a doctor 

I’m sure those of you that have ridden for a long time can add a few more scenarios, the 3 above are all true stories and either happened to myself or others I know or you might know. :-) They make good stories though. 


How to minimise the risk:

1. I would recommend to carry a spare pair in your camelbak
2. OR invest in a pair of baggies to wear over your cycling tights

No comments:

Post a Comment