Saturday 4 May 2013

Breaking News: The Launch of Tango Cycling - 3 May 2013

As most of you know, I have a passion for events organising and I love mountain biking.

So I thought I'll combine the two. Starting small, I'm organising a mountain biking weekend away for my friends. In the past, after previous trips I've organised, a few people have suggested that I charge for  the service, but I didn't quite know how to do it. When Daleen & I catered for Liezl's 30th Birthday Party we discussed how you would charge for such an event, and suddenly the penny dropped. I came up with an idea on how I could charge for organising a weekend away, without taking full responsibility for all the cooking, or changing the format of the weekend from what we have previously enjoyed. In fact, one of the best parts of the weekend is getting everybody involved with helping to prepare the food and cleaning up afterwards.

So this is how it works; I still co-ordinate the accommodation, co-ordinate the lifts, plan the menu and source the food as in the past, but for a small additional administration fee. I'm making no profit on the accommodation or food. This means I am still saving everybody money by providing a budget weekend and we're all still having the same fun at a cheaper price - it works both ways.

Therefore I am NOW proud to make this venture OFFICIAL by revealing my logo to you!







Where does the name Tango Cycling come from?
Well I work on a contract with the Ministry of Defence and we went through a phase where we called each other by our phonetic initials as nicknames at work, so I was Tango Charlie and it started there.

How did you decide on the tag line?

I found Elisca a helmet on the Internet in 2010 which matched her bike one day and said I'm going to charge her for personal shopping. I created a dummy invoice with the company name Tango Cycling company and tag line Making Cycling More Fun. Janet then one day jokingly said, Making Cycling More Fun for Less on one of our trips and that is how "for less" got added. I liked it and started using, Making Cycling More Fun for Less.

I find it very appropriate as I hate waste; waste of my money, waste of others money and waste of food. So my aim is to get quantities right so that none of the above will occur.

How did your logo evolve and who designed it for you?

I've always said if I get a logo one day I want the handlebar to be the T of Tango Cycling & the C of Tango Cycling to be a wheel. Suzanne is a friend of Beatrice, she designed Beatrice & Cheesa's wedding invitations and stationary, so I contacted her a few weeks ago to ask if she would be willing to help me. She did an amazing job and was so creative to come up with the final product. She had so many good ideas which made it hard to choose one, but I went with the one that was closest to what I visualised in my head from the beginning and she tweaked it to produce the final product, which I love.

My motto is:

1. To make cycling more fun 


  •           by connecting groups of friends
  •           finding awesome trails for them to enjoy together
2. For less

  •          by finding reasonably priced group accommodation
  •          by cooking nutritious food in bulk
  •          by sharing lifts

    I'm very excited about what the future may hold in store.





No comments:

Post a Comment